A prototyping board for the Atmel ATtiny85 microcontroller, heavily influenced by the DigiSpark and the Little Wire.

Some notes on flashing tinyprotos (or other ATtiny85 based boards) with micronucleus.

Without disabling reset pin:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny85 -U flash:w:micronucleus-1.06.hex -U lfuse:w:0xe1:m -U hfuse:w:0xdd:m -U efuse:w:0xfe:m 

With disabling reset pin:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny85 -U flash:w:micronucleus-1.06.hex -U lfuse:w:0xe1:m -U hfuse:w:0x5d:m -U efuse:w:0xfe:m 
twilek:commandline tony$ ./micronucleus littleWire_v11.hex 
> Please plug in the device ... 
> Press CTRL+C to terminate the program.
> Device is found!
connecting: 40% complete
> Available space for user application: 6012 bytes
> Suggested sleep time between sending pages: 8ms
> Whole page count: 94
> Erase function sleep duration: 752ms
parsing: 60% complete
> Erasing the memory ...
erasing: 80% complete
> Starting to upload ...
writing: 100% complete
>> Micronucleus done. Thank you!

Revision 1.2.

  • Fixed the voltage regulator pinout.
  • Added a 6 pin ICSP header.
  • Attempted to put together a star ground.

I guess double checking component footprints is not enough. Hopefully the third try is it.

Revision 1.1.

Components arrived from Digikey this morning! Not having the final boards, I printed off a paper copy. And found my first mistake.

Apparently SOIC packages come in three different widths. Updated to reflect the SOIC-8M size.

Lesson learned: double check packages before ordering boards. I didn't catch this in time for Seeed to swap out the order, so I've sent another order in. At $10USD for ten boards, it won't break the bank. The old ones will be usable as just plain proto boards anyhow.

Revision 1.0.

These boards are 5cm square, so they're large enough to accomodate a simple circuit in the prototyping area, and small enough to be cost effective to build.

There's no programming header on this board. I'd like to program them through the I/O pins. If all goes well, I'll make a pogo pin rig to do that.

I've sent the boards off to Seeed for fabrication. In about three weeks, I'll get to see if they work or not.